Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Faith Rediscovered

So I've been filling out an application for church, and (of course) they asked for my statement of faith (hereafter referred to as SOF). I haven't actually written out my SOF since high school, so I thought, Hey, here's a good opportunity to take stock of what I believe and why, etc.
Thinking about my testimony was kind of disappointing...in the past I've tended to stick with cliche and Christian-ese: I grew up in church, chose for myself in high school, and here I am. Not particularly useful for anyone, really. It seems like I believe just because that's how it is. There's no indication that faith was required for any part of that journey.
But not to worry! I've been spending a lot of time revisiting my faith, starting at square one. I'm not questioning my faith, just nailing down what I believe and why, and spending a lot of time in scripture with the purpose of coming up with a concise SOF for my application and to share with other people. Good stuff.